A healthy twist on holiday dessert favorites
The holidays are all about spreading cheer…not calories and cavities. So, why not try a few dessert recipes that put a healthier spin on some holiday treat favorites. We offer a few tested (and delicious) recipe ideas for you here:
- Sugar cookies—Now, here’s a lead favorite among holiday treats! Who doesn’t love a butter-rich, sugar-topped cookie? If sugar cookies are a traditional holiday treat in your house, try going gluten-free this year by using almond or coconut flour. FitFoodieFinds.com has a great recipe! Try it; you just might like it.
- Gingerbread cookies—You can’t get more classic than your friendly faced gingerbread cookie. If you’re a gingerbread junkie, try the Ultimate Healthy Gingerbread Cookie recipe at AmysHealthyBaking.com. This guilt-free recipe eliminates butter and refined flour and sugar…and comes in at just 52 calories per cookie!
- Shortbread cookies—The dense, buttery deliciousness of shortbread is often a fan favorite around the holidays. CookingLight.com offers a healthier whole-wheat version that doesn’t skimp on the beloved buttery flavor. Give this Salted Chocolate-Topped Shortbread recipe a try.
- No-bake peanut butter cup bars—Peanut butter and chocolate is a classic and delicious combo. This healthy recipe from Detoxinista.com offers a Paleo- and vegan-friendly recipe.
- Cheesecake—Who doesn’t love cheesecake? It’s dense, decadent and delicious! Offer a lighter version this year by trying Foodnetwork.com’s Chocolate Truffle Cheesecake recipe that replaces most of the cream cheese with cottage cheese.
These are just a few healthy dessert ideas that you can try this holiday season. Visit any of the websites noted above to discover others. Here’s hoping your holidays are happy and healthy!