As a result of the highway funding extension bill signed into law by President Obama in 2015, there are important changes coming in 2017 to deadlines for business tax filings including:
- W-2 and 1099 filings are due January 31 in 2017 instead of March 31. These forms are still due employees and contractors by January 31, so it’s important to prepare and file them early if possible.
- S-corps, partnerships, LLPs and multi-member LLCs filing Form 1065 must file by March 15 or the 15th day of the third month following the end of the organization’s fiscal year. The previous deadline was April 15. Extensions are available for up to six months, filed no later than September 15, 2017.
- C-corps filing Form 1120 must file by April 15 (previously March 15) or the 15th day of the fourth month following the end of the organization’s fiscal year. Extensions can be filed no later than September 15. After 2026, C corporation extensions will be available for up to six months after the initial due date.
- Trust and Estate filing Form 1041 the extension due date has changed from September 15 to September 30.
- Exempt organizations filing Form 990 now have only one extension until November 15.
If you have any questions about the above changes please do not hesitate to contact our office.